Some application controllers prefer to accept each product recommendation as a separate set of files. Each set (product) is imported into the controller and then assigned to a bin or tank. Other controllers prefer to have all of the different products placed in the same file. We call this a multilayer shapefile. If you picture the file as a spreadsheet each column has the name of a product and each ROW has the rate for each product in each regions (zone or grid).This is particularly suited to ZONE recs where management zones are same for all products or for a grid style export because the geographic footprint is the same.
To combine multiple layers into the single multilayer file, we do have to work one field at a time.
- Go to the field and highlight the Fertilizer Prescription operation
2. Right click and select EXPORT from the pop up menu> Select Export Single Filed to Field Display/Monitor>Start ***See # * Below for more information
3. Select GENERIC, where you will see the file type Shape-Multiple Layers>Export to selected File Format
4. In the Export Selection window click on each of the prescriptions and Add them to the selected layers. Each product has a place to enter the default rate. (Although in a shapefile I do not see how this is going to be exported as part of the file, so your operators may still have to do this in cab.)
5. Say OK and you will see a preview of each of the layers as they will appear (not important-nothing to do here)
6. Navigate to a directory where you can place all of these exports and give it a name that reflects the fieldname as it appears in the grower list. Suggestion: Use Fieldname_YEAR for the filename.
7. Repeat through all of the fields and export them into the same folder (NO subfolders). All of the shapefiles in this folders will then be moved into the appropriate location on a USB to be transferred into the monitor.
8. Special Note: For users who are sending both VR fertilizer and VR seeding, such as to the Borgault or TopCon X30 series, you can select VR AND Seeding and all will be sent to the file. To select the fertilizer and seeding, pick one then hold control key and pick the other so that both are highlighted, right click then export.
Karon Tracey Cowan, AgTech GIS